Ken Munro 64-67

Sign in, please leave your Name, rate, rank, division and years served and any comments. If you are looking for fellow shipmates then this is the place to start...

Please start a new topic with your name and years aboard as the subject.

Ken Munro 64-67

Postby Ken on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:50 pm

I was aboard the Seminole from 64 - 67 in "E" division. The most memorable thing was the fire in the #2 hold (ammo) and running out of OBA canisters and I think it was the USS Enterprise that came to the rescue. My GQ station was the main switchboard at that time and we could hear small arms going off in the hold. We (in the engine room) did not actually know what was in the hold so all of us were standing away from the forward bulkhead. :shock: We knew we were in trouble when the towed us (on fire) from the pier and put us in the middle of subic bay. The rumor was that one of the Marines who were bunked on the first deck above the hold had dropped a cigarette through the hatch, I think there was some truth to that because they shipped all of them to Nam that day, the probably ended up in some God forsaken place in that miserable country.

I remember that there was a division officer that went down in the hold after the CO2 went off and was over-come by it, forget his name but I think it was the same one who had his throat cut by Mike Mayes ("A" Division) in Vietnam in early 66. Always wondered what happen to Mayes, I was doing SP in Subic and saw him in a bar and talked to him, he said he escaped the brig and was going to live in the Philippines for the rest of his life.... Mike, if you read this, get in touch with me.

I will add more here later.

You can edit your posts anytime.
Ken

Re: Ken Munro 64-67

Postby Billkuzsh3 on Sun May 04, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi Ken Munro,
I may have a couple of things you might want to add to your experiences aboard the Seminole.
I did 2 years of service aboard the Seminole, 1966-1968.
When I came aboard in 1966 ... I was put in boat division and worked as a BM striker for several
months. Later on I got into supply and got my crow as a SH3. The benefits in Ship Service were great and were well worth the 18 hour days we worked aboard ship, when liberty call went down-
we were gone, no in-port watches.
Anyway, Regarding Mike Mayes attack on LT.JG Gill was bad news. As I remember Mayes was Messed up on a drink called "Absence" and he was a real piece of work that day.
Myself and 2 other sailors wrestled Mayes to the ground and tied him in ropes.
Shore patrol came and he was gone.

Regarding the #2 hole fire, BM 1st class Butler and Toth were both in LCM boat division.
When the fire happened in #2 hole, the Captains main concern was the burning of white Phosphorus..Something that normally has to burn itself out.
BM1 Butler, jumped through the deck hatch, right down the ladder and into the blaze.
A couple fireman with breathing gear pulled him out and saved his sole.
Lt.JG Benyow should know if LT. JG Gill was part of that fire.He was there too,as I remember.

Hope this helps.

Bill K. 66-68
Billkuzsh3

Postby Ken on Mon May 05, 2008 11:08 am

Great stuff Bill, thanks...

This clears up the foggy memory about these incidents, I will include this in the history. Do you remember the dates of the fire and the Mike Mays thing?
Ken

Postby Billkuzsh3 on Mon May 05, 2008 12:54 pm

Ken, we were in Subic Bay P.I ......20 April-11 May 1967...again 14 June to 26th and again
28-29 July. I don't recall the date of Mayes mayhem on LTJG Gill.
These were the only times in the P.I. in 1967... 34 total days.
Billkuzsh3
Billkuzsh3

Postby RickEM3 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:16 pm

Hi Ken , I came on board dec-66 out of EM-A School and was assigned to BE DIV. worked with George York in battery locker. I took over after york left. I remember the fire in subic. hell of a nite. If we had been at sea when it happened we would have really been in trouble.If I remember right The Mayes incident happened when we were in South Korea training with the rok marines. The LCM's salvage boat was left in the water along side of ship overnite and started to sink .they got the boat towed into the beach for repairs and mayes got screwed up on some korean saki and cut Gills throat. He got sent to brig at Subic and then broke out and was suppose to be living with his girlfriend outside of Olangapo. I have a bunch of pictures just need to figure out to get them on here.
RickEM3

Postby Ken on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:54 pm

WOW, Rick you have really nailed this, that is exactly the way I remember it except the Korea thing, I would have put money on the fact that we were in VN at the time, I can remember it being hot and we were offloading and it was late at night when they brought Gill back and locked up Mayes. Funny how things get twisted over the years...

You can scan the photos and attach them to an email, if you need help with that I can give you a call and walk you through it.

Ken
Ken

Postby artsage on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:34 pm

I just found this web site and was interested in the stories.

About the LCM sinking: it was definitely when we were in Korea for the wet net training. McLeod was one of the divers that went down to help on that.

About the fire: Lt. Vasser [spelling?] went down in the hold and it was my 1st class, Brunner [DC] who set off the CO2. Vasser should not have been down there. I went down to get him with a couple of other guys. The first time we went down, one guy pulled his mask off and swore the OBA wasn't working and we all came up. Then we went back down and got Lt Vasser [not easy to drag him up the ladder]. Turned out there was nothing wrong with OBA or cannister, just panic by a sailor. We poured so much water in the hold I thought the ship would sink. I heard they had ammunition on the deck below the white phosphorous [probably not true] which made it really scarey since we knew that stuff could burn through the deck.
I had the lower deck watch just before the fire, I think it was the 4 -8pm. It wasn't that long after I was relieved that the fire was discovered. I had definitely been down in that hold and checked it, as I always did in every hold when I had the watch. I have been told that some people did not always actually take all the soundings or go down in all the holds, but I did. I also heard the rumor that a marine or marines started the fire so we wouldn't pull out and take them to Viet Nam, but I never believed it.

Art Sagendorf
DC3 66 -68
artsage

Postby herald88 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:59 pm

Herald Gillespie 66-68 was in 1st div. am trying to find info on fellow sailors M. G. MacCallister and B.M. Wooley, left the ship in January 1968,to go incountery, made it just in time for the 68 Tet offensive. I remember the fire in Subic Bay but all I can remember was something about ammo in # 2 hold. If anyone knows anything about shipmates, please reply to me at hherald88@yahoo.com, I met up with Wooley in 69 in Danang harbor while ship was unloading cargo, and was told by him that MacCallister was killed in Dong Ho Province that year,Went to the moving wall display 12/13/08, but couldn't find his name
herald88

Postby pathbu on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:15 pm

Butler wasn't first class I was second class.1st lT. Vasser asked for volunteers to go with him into # 2 hold to check fire boundries and I went with him.I did not just jump into the fire.We were down in lower #2 hold when the co2 went off.Lt Vasser stayed by the ladder with a battle lantern while I climed over a pile of ammo back to the ladder .I made it up to the first deck before I passed out .I woke up in sickbay.I dont know how long Mr Vasser was down there but no one went after him untill I revived enough to tell them he was down there.He did save my ass. and ya the whole ship was loaded with ammo. Mr Vasser went to the hospital in Subic and I never heard from him again.often wondered if he was ok.Rumor had it that he had a ship torpedoed out from under him in ww2.

I have always thought that it was Mr King that got cut in korea.I was talking to him when Mays ran up to him and cut his neck.Two guys wrestled mays down and put him in the lazerett (sp?-) of mike 8 while I tried to stop the blood.we took him back to the ship on a LCVP.
Paul Butler
ptb524@hotmail.com
pathbu

Postby pathbu on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Opps I think it was mike six as mike 8 was beached and full of water :oops:
pathbu

Next

Return to Quarter Deck - Ships Company